01792 456139

family law matters

family law swansea

Whenever a relationship comes to an end, whether you are married or not, you will always want to know what rights you, as a parent, have in relation to your children. Wherever possible it is better to try and reach agreement between parents than ask the court to decide about your children's future.

The court has the power to make Family Arrangement Orders to determine such matters as who the children should live with, how often they should see the other parent, and what should or should not be done in relation to a child such as issues regarding schooling or health matters.

The court has a wide range of powers and will make orders where it is deemed to be in the best interests of the child.


It is not only parents who can apply to the court – sometimes it is grandparents who need help to maintain links with grandchildren or to take over a parents role bringing up a child when a parent is not able to. We are able to advise members of the wider family, and indeed sometimes the children themselves, about their rights.

We can advise what legal rights you have, and enter into negotiations on your behalf to see if an agreement can be reached. If no agreement is possible we will refer you to mediation. In most cases the parties have to try mediation before any court proceedings are issued. Mediation involves both parties meeting with an independent trained mediator to see if they are able to agree matters. We can advise you of your options.

If mediation is not appropriate or is unsuccessful, court proceedings can commence.