01792 456139

family law matters

family law swansea

When a relationship comes to an end, there are usually matters that need to be sorted out such as what should happen to property shared during the cohabitating relationship or what arrangements should be made to care for the children. 

The legal position is different in respect of property matters if you are not married or have not entered into a civil partnership, particularly if property is not jointly owned.

Trust law is often a major factor when considering property rights following the breakdown of relationship. These can be quite complex and difficult to unravel without expert legal advice.

Disputes regarding children are very similar whether you are married or not.

The court has the same powers to make Family Arrangement Orders to record with whom a child should live and how much time they should spend with the other parent.

There can be an additional issue when a father of a child in a relationship has not acquired parental responsibility, ie legal rights in respect of his child.

The courts tend to consider shared parental responsibility as appropriate unless it is not considered to be in the best interests of the child.